Friday, June 8, 2007

The Lethal Cocktail

I promised myself that this blog would not become a political opinion column. In fact, I even removed a large section from a previous post about freedom, small government, and why I would vote in favor of gay marriage and legalized marijuana. For me, this omission was a significant as most of you know one of my favorite places to be is on the soapbox (one of those things I don't like so much about myself). In essence, I am trying to, at least for the summer, make this blog one about our summer activities, rather than a political platform.

In any event, I wrote to Senator Cornyn (as well as Senator Hutchison, though she has yet to respond) about some of my concerns surrounding the death penalty. My main concern, though I do not support the death penalty in general, was in this case pertaining to the use of cruel and unusual punishment. I am sure you all remember a month or so ago when Philip Workman was executed in Tennessee. This specific execution brought to light some of the possible problems with the "lethal cocktail," the chemical mixture currently administered to death row inmates for executions. I feel sure that most of you are already aware of the debate surrounding this topic, so I will go into no further detail at this time. I wrote to our senators expressing my discomfort with the fact that Texas has seemingly neglected to respond to the reconsiderations that other states have initiated concerning this issue. I did receive a response (one that indirectly dealt with the previous message I sent him, but a response nonetheless) from Senator Cornyn. I do not have the original e-mail I sent him as it was sent from a website, but I do have his e-mail and my current response. I though I would post it just to share because I decided this could be classified as a summer adventure, and I thought some of you might find it interesting

So, here is a copy of the e-mail I receive from the senator:

Dear Ms. Binion:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the death penalty. I appreciate having the benefit of your views on this matter.

Thirty-eight states including Texas and the federal government and military have capital punishment statutes in effect. The death penalty is an important component of the American criminal justice system, and a large majority of Americans support its use as a tool in the criminal justice process. In malicious crimes, for example, that result in the loss of innocent lives, the death penalty has served as society's ultimate form of deterrence and retributive justice.

I understand the concerns of those who advocate abolishing the death penalty. But the checks and protections in our criminal justice system include multiple levels of state and federal court review, over which the United States Supreme Court has ultimate authority. These layers of protection are designed to avoid any erroneous imposition of the death penalty.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent the interest of all Texans in the United States Senate. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator.

Here is a copy of my response:

Dear Senator,

Thank you for your response. I will send you a book
shortly about the many who have been on death row and
acquitted (though I am sure you already know of many
of these cases). I hope that you may find time to
read it as you have so graciously found time to
respond to my e-mail, and that you may consider
yourself or a loved on in a similar situation. Our
system, in my opinion one of the best in the world, is
not without flaws. I am not confident that we shall
ever find a perfect system. I know the statement I am
about to make is not necessarily a popular one
(particularly in Texas), but at least as far as I am
concerned, I would rather spend tax money to support
prisoners than risk the killing of an innocent. Thank
you again for your response. We live in a world today
where many feel that their voices often go unnoticed
by their leaders, and it truly pleases me that you
have chosen to respond to my e-mail. Many thanks.

Sincerely,
Sydneyann Binion


In case anyone is interested, here is a list (though not up to date) or some who have been on death row and acquitted:


http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?scid=6&did=110

No comments: