Thursday, June 7, 2007

The story of a pipe

I lost the adapter I need to put pictures on the computer, but as soon as I find it I will add some.

I have a good story from our Cali trip. It is the story of the pipe. David was looking for hemp clothing while we were in Santa Barbara (this is basically his mission everywhere we go) and we found a store that was simply named, "Hemp Store." So we investigated. The store did have some hemp clothing, and David thumbed through it for twenty minutes or so, but it also contained various other hemp paraphernalia (such as enormous glass bongs and glass cigarettes). I don't really have anything against marijuana per se, only that I think it should be legalized, but given my somewhat sheltered background it has never really appealed to me, and so I've never tried it. I am usually try to keep my cool around people that smoke it, but in the back of my head I have Cypress Community Christian School voices chanting "don't fraternize with 'those people,'" which is really quite ridiculous because I know a great deal of fine people who also happen to smoke marijuana. Anyway, back to the story. So I step outside the hemp store and am instantly attacked by the store owners' giant chow mix. I scream like a little girl (which makes me feel stupid because remember I am playing it cool in the hemp shop), and someone grabs the dog. After a few apologies, the store owner comes over to me and says, "Hey, you over 18?" I tell him yes and wonder how much longer I will look like a preteen, and he slaps a glass pipe in my hand. I can't figure out if he just assumed that anyone who comes into a hemp store must do drugs, if I look like a druggie, or if all Californians are druggies and I look like one of those? Regardless, I now have a beautiful glass pipe and no use for it. I thought about throwing it out, but it is a good memento, so it's been sitting in my purse for 2 weeks. When I die in a car crash they are going to hand my mom my stuff and everyone will think I've been hiding something, "Geeze, this girl keeps a pipe in her purse?" I do have one question about the hemp store. I just don't understand why in the U.S. we are allowed to have entire stores devoted to the selling of marijuana 'tools' and no marijuana is allowed. It seems like they should either get rid of the stores or legalize marijuana if we want to be fair here.

No comments: